A History of Innovation…
Many Respected Brands One Committed Company
At Covidien, we're passionate about making doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other medical professionals as effective as they can be. Through ongoing collaboration with these medical professionals and healthcare organizations, we identify clinical needs and translate them into proven products and procedures. Our industry-leading brands – including Kendall, Mallinckrodt, Nellcor, Puritan-Bennett, Autosuture and Valleylab – are known and respected worldwide for uncompromising quality.
Over the years, we've pioneered a number of medical advances, including surgical stapling, electrosurgery, laparoscopic instrumentation, pulse oximetry, embolization devices, and contrast media delivery. This extensive product line, spanning medical devices, pharmaceuticals and medical supplies, enables us to serve healthcare needs in hospitals, long-term care and alternate care facilities, doctors’ offices, pharmacies and in the home.
International In Every Respect
Covidien is part of the local fabric of the communities in which we operate around the world. Our success is made possible through the dedication of our 43,000 employees, nearly two-thirds of whom work in 48 manufacturing facilities located in 17 countries. Every day, over 5,000 Covidien sales representatives meet the needs of our customers in more than 65 countries. In all, our Company derives over 45% of its sales from outside the United States.
Strategic Initiatives, Core Strengths
At Covidien, we believe supporting the lifesaving work of medical professionals and focusing on growth are complementary goals. In fact, it is our financial stability that enables us to fulfill our vision of delivering unmatched value to our customers in the healthcare profession. In this way, we are able to do our part to improve patient outcomes.
With that in mind, we have outlined the following strategic initiatives:
- Broaden innovation focus
- Aggressively manage our portfolio
- Optimize spending to invest in innovation and growth
- Capitalize on opportunities in emerging markets
We're confident we will succeed in these areas because of our core strengths:
- Scale, product diversity and reach. As one of the largest global manufacturers and marketers in the healthcare industry, we have the scale and diversity to invest wisely in infrastructure and technology and to develop lower cost sources of supply and global distribution. We offer products in a number of high-growth healthcare areas, including laparoscopic surgery, electrosurgery, biosurgery, vascular therapies and pain management.
- A portfolio of leading brands. Our brands are among the most well-known and respected in the healthcare field. Quality and reliability are their hallmarks.
- Strong customer relationships. Our sales force develops and maintains strong relationships with clinician decision-makers. We foster these relationships by providing extensive clinical education through dedicated training centers, academic institutions and by offering other continuing education programs.
- Operational excellence. We have a history of developing and manufacturing high-quality products in a cost-effective manner. Throughout our organization, we are committed to Six Sigma, Design for Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing and strategic sourcing initiatives to ensure product availability. We employ strict safety and quality controls to minimize disruption throughout the supply chain.
Our aim is to enhance growth by expanding our research and development initiatives, pursuing targeted acquisition opportunities and strengthening our global infrastructure, including sales, marketing and distribution.